Smart Training is offering the brand new Level 3 Team Leader Apprenticeship – one of the 'Trailblazer' Apprenticeships designed by employers specifying the skills they need their Apprentices to achieve.This new Apprenticeship is aimed at those working in a first line management role with operational or project responsibilities or responsibility for managing a team - such as supervisors, team leaders, project officers, shift supervisors and shift managers.
It takes 15-18 months to complete this course on a part time basis including monthly tutorials at a local training centre. Learners are given assignments to complete and have observations in the workplace. If you receive Government funding for the course - available to those who are employed more than 30 hours a week and have lived in the UK or European Union in the last three years - you'll also study functional skills in English and maths.
An Apprentice is expected to spend 20% of their working hours completing off the job training.
The course covers:
- Different leadership styles and the benefits of coaching to support people and improve performance
- Organisational cultures, equality, diversity and inclusion
- People and team management models including team dynamics and motivation techniques
- HR systems and legal requirements plus performance management techniques
- Approaches to customer and stakeholder relationship management, including managing conflict
- Different forms of communication and their application
- How organisational strategy is developed
- Data management and the use of different technologies in business
- Project lifecycle and roles
- Organisational governance and compliance and how to deliver value for money and monitor budgets
- Learning styles, feedback mechanisms and how to use emotional intelligence
- Time management techniques and tools and how to prioritise activities and approaches to planning
- Problem solving and decision making techniques and how to analyse data to support decision making.
How is the Apprenticeship organised?
There are two main components:
- On Programme Assessment
- End Point Assessment
Level 2 Functional Skills in English and Maths need to be completed, if not already held, before the Apprentice moves on to End Point Assessment.
Work and Assessment
Assessment is by workplace observations, practical tasks at work, answering questions and assignment writing, and an End Point Assessment which includes a portfolio, substantial project, knowledge test, interview and a professional discussion. You'll find all the resources for your course on our Online Training Academy where you'll also be able to submit your work and study for your functional skills.
End Point Assessment
Apprentices need to complete a work-based project at the end of their course which will be agreed with the employer to benefit their business. The project will demonstrate accumulated knowledge and understanding of management and its application in the workplace. This will be agreed along with the employer and is likely to take around five days to complete. It will be assessed by an independent assessor and requires Apprentices to document their assumptions, show their understanding of commercial pressures and apply thinking and problem solving skills.
End point assessment is not carried out by Smart Training but by an external assessment organisation.
This course costs just £500 for non-levy paying employers, as the Government will fund £4,500 of the full £5,000 course fees for eligible staff. Large employers can fund the entire cost through the Apprenticeship Levy. Eligible staff must be employed for more than 16 hours a week and have lived in the UK or European Union for the last three years.
Once you've completed the Level 3 you'll be in an ideal position to progress onto the Level 5 Diploma in Management which is designed for developing or experienced second-line or middle managers.